12.06.2009

A scene from Accident

This is one of my favorite scenes from Accident, which I described in my post a few weeks ago. Dirk Bogarde's character, middle-aged and married, has a small uncomfortable crush on one of his students, played by Jacqueline Sassard. When he's asked to join her & another student on a little boat trip he reluctantly agrees. The ensuing trip is a combination of lovely cinematography, soft jazz and palpable awkwardness.

Pay special attention to the part when Dirk realizes the proximity of his hand to her thigh and clumsily repositions, tucking his hands under his armpits. The juxtaposition of his discomfort with the beauty and ease of everything going on around him is like gawky poetry.





1 comment:

Terence Towles Canote said...

I always loved this scene too. I think it shows just how great Sir Dirk Bogarde was an actor. He is so subtle in his display of discomfort!